Terms & Conditions
By sending or bringing your laptop or desktop to Fix My Laptop to be repaired or serviced, you agree to the following conditions:
(1) It is your responsibility to backup your data. This includes all hard drives and any memory or flash cards, etc. We are not liable for any data loss regardless of how caused. We treat all data the same and do not distinguish between files, documents, programs, etc in our data manipulation or workshop processes.
(2) Our technicians have requested that a full fault description be provided to assist in the diagnosis and the repair of your computer. Failure to communicate all issues or to adequately convey the how, where and when of errors is not likely to result in all faults been attended to. If you remove your hard drive prior to our repair we cannot test it in your Windows environment and therefore cannot guarantee this aspect of any job.
(3) During the repair process your hard drive will be tested for surface integrity and speed and in this event that it needs replacing you may not have the opportunity to access your data once the repair is complete. You acknowledge this. Also be aware that surface testing a failing hard drive can cause it to totally fail due to its intense usage. You agree that we cannot be held responsible for this if it occurs.
(4) All BIOS and Windows passwords should be removed before booking in your laptop. In cases where FML receives units with passwords, they will be cleared if possible, or we will call or SMS you to obtain them but this will delay the repair of the unit.
(5) What you should send FML:
(a) Include accessories ONLY if it would help the technician determine the issue with your unit. This could include PCMCIA cards, 3G Internet dongle, DVD drives, AC adapters, additional third-party RAM, cables, etc. If you are getting a DC Jack repaired you MUST include the AC adapter.
(b) Always include the battery and AC adapter with your unit. Do not strip parts from your computer prior to booking in or sending to us for testing and repair.
(c) Please do NOT include DVD movies, Software CDs, Music CDs, port replicators, mini docks, external monitors, product manuals, etc.
Please make a list of any accessories you are booking in / sending with your unit and provide us with a copy of the list. Claims by you relating to failure to return an accessory item or software disk will not be honoured unless you provide us with a list of what you say was sent or booked in by FML. Please make sure your carry bag has your name on it or in it.
(6) Packing your PC, laptop or equipment.
To prevent damage during shipping, please pack your unit with at least 3 inches of industry standard packing material all the way around your unit. If this is not done, you will be responsible for any damages incurred. If you are returning the unit in other than its original packaging please note that the packaging may not be returned to you. Non-original packaging on arrival becomes the property of FML to recycle or dispose of as we see fit.
(7) Damage in Transit. If there is damage or problem with your unit is deemed to be "in transit", we will assess who we deem to be responsible and you agree that our determination is final; customer damage through inadequate packaging, damage by the FML repair center, damage from our couriers or Australia Post. If you are at fault you agree to pay for the repairs caused by poor packaging.
(8) Parts Fitted: FML will use new, reconditioned or used parts as necessary to effect your repair. New and reconditioned parts come with a full 90 day warranty and used parts also come with a 90 day warranty. The determination of what part to use is at the discretion of FML unless explicitly agreed prior to repair. For example you could ask; "Fit a used screen to my laptop", in which case we would try to comply. As we cover all brands the provision of parts is a very complex matter and we seek your understanding in this matter.
(9) Courier Policy. FML use a variety of transportation methods depening on your location, urgency, size of package, etc. We are often asked "How Can I arrange a Courier pickup?". The answer is that the method varies depending on your location. We will advise you of the best shipping method available in our experience.
(10) Payment. Payment must be made in full before your item is returned to you. Insurance reports are payable in advance. The person who commissions the insurance report is the person liable for the pre-payment of the report fee. We will not give you credit or invoice jobs for later payment unless prior arrangements have been made.
(11) Work Not Done. If we omit to do a task you asked us to complete for whatever reason, the subsequent attendance to that task is not free. It is not a warranty matter as we normally only bill for what we do, not what we were asked to do.
(12) Warranty. We provide warranty for all work done by us. We will make good any faults caused by us or replace any parts fitted by us during the part warranty period. We may choose to give you an advance replacement of the parts or you may have to wait for the manufacturer to replace the returned part. Re-infectation of viruses is not normally a warranty matter. Certain know faults of a design nature will not be covered by this warranty policy more than once, ie we will only replace a part under warranty once.
(13) Liability for Loss or Damage. You agree that incidental marking, scratches, etc could result from disassembly of your equipment. Where your laptop is designed by the manufacturer to be not disassembled, such as screens on Apple Macbook Air or Ultrabooks, you acknowledge and accept that some damage may occur during dismantling and repair. You accept this. Also you accept that FML is limited in liability to the replacement of a lost or damaged item only; no claim for loss of data, profits, time etc will be entertained.
(15) Illegal Acts. We will not pirate software for you, we will not misrepresent insurance reports or do any other illegal act. As refusal may offend, please don't ask. For us to load Microsoft products onto your computer you must provide your product key / genuine disk(s) / proof of ownership.
(16) Parts. We have made the business decision to not sell parts either wholesale or retail. If you need parts we have we'll quote you on a fitted price with a discount. If you want us to fit parts you have obtained yourself, thats OK, we charge for our time.
(17) Operating System Support. We only support Microsoft Windows 98 2000 ME XP Vista & Windows 7 and Apple OS versions. Partitions with Linux or Unix are not supported and will be ignored.
(18) Prompt Collection and Payment for Completed Repairs. You agree to promptly collect and pay for your repairs or service fees. You further agree to pay a "storage fee" of $1 per day per laptop/desktop for laptops/desktops that remain uncollected 30 days after we notify you that the goods are ready for collection. Please note that uncollected goods will be disposed of persuant of The Disposal of Uncollected Goods Act 1967 which covers inspection, custody, storage, repair and other treatment of goods. Under this Act, uncollected goods may be sold six months after the date on which they were ready for collection to recoup the unpaid charges, storage fees, and costs of disposal by public auction (such as Ebay).
(19) Testimonials: You agree to allow Fix My Laptop to use any testimonial you provide in any one medium in any other. For example if you post a testimonial on our website we may well transfer it to our Facebook page or vice versa.
(20) Movement of Jobs Between Workshops: In booking in a job at any Fix My Laptop workshop you give us permission to transfer the job to any other workshop of ours or a third party to effect the repair in the fastest and most professional manner. We may not advise you of this shipment as we normally only return your equipment to you at the same location that you booked it into.
You acknowledge that you have read and agree to our terms and conditions by virtue of booking in a job with Fix My Laptop.
Terms and Conditions are available from our Reception.